Thursday, February 24, 2011

Something else that drives me crazy

It's what I call "double parenting" me . .

My daughter, surprisingly, eats pretty healthy by choice.  She loves cucumbers, carrots, celery or apples and we usually have one or more of these with lunch that she helps herself to, but in the mornings she usually eats just a buttered toast.  That's what she wants and she does just fine until lunch time.

This morning we were getting ready to leave to go to walk to her school and mom starts telling her that she needs to pick something like an orange or something to eat.  Not ask or offer, but tell her she MUST pick something else to eat before she goes to school.  And I'm standing right there.

My daughter- meanwhile is starting to stress out, since this has NEVER been the case, all she wants is toast.

And I have to step in and put my foot down - That is not a rule here, mom.  My daughter has never needed to do that, and usually leaves like this.

I pretty much have to veto all my mom has just said.

I get a little resistance - some talk- maybe something to the point of "I was just offering" but to be honest I wasn't listening, because I didn't care.  My home, my daughter, my rules.

And like I said before - this is totally under the realm of "normal" if it just wasn't all the time.

No comments: